DIRECTOR: Bethanne Maus-Schaefer
Requirements to receive the sacrament of Confirmation are as follows:
· Complete a two-year Christian Formation Program with required attendance (14 of 16 classes)
· Complete 8 Mass Reflections each year
· Attend a Reconciliation Service each year (see dates below)
· Complete 15 service hours Junior year / 10 service hours Sophomore year (more information about Service opportunities below)
· Attend a one day retreat Sophomore year (see below)
· Attend a one day Confirmation retreat Junior year (see below)
· Write a letter to the Archbishop/Bishop presiding at the Confirmation Mass (Junior year)
· Complete a Confirmation interview (Junior year)
The Christian Formation office can be called or emailed at any time to verify the status of student requirements.
One parent MUST attend with your student on the first night of class - September 24 (see 'Class Schedule' tab on this website for a complete listing of class dates and times).
Confirmation Retreat - NEW THIS YEAR - an all day retreat held at St. Leonard
(more information will be provided at the parent meeting on September 24, 2017)
Saturday, January 13, 2018 - OR -
Saturday, February 24, 2018
Sophomore Retreat date - an all day retreat (9am - 7:30pm) held at St. Leonard.
Saturday, October 21, 2017 - OR -
Saturday, November 11, 2017
Wednesday, October 25, 6:30pm in Church (Youth oriented)
Tuesday, November 14, 6:30pm in Church (Youth oriented)
Saturday, December 9, 10:00am at St. Joseph Big Bend (Parish oriented)
Thursday, January 18, 6:30pm in Church (Youth oriented)
Tuesday, February 6, 6:30pm in Church (Youth oriented)
Wednesday, March 7, 6:30pm in Church (Youth oriented)
Wednesday, March 21, 7:00pm in Church (Parish oriented)
Service can be completed in a variety of ways: at the parish, in our community, and/or in the home. We have a wide assortment of projects through our parish with all of the various activities, events and committees. Information is provided, as it becomes available. We also understand that students are involved in service elsewhere, outside the parish walls, and these activities can be (in most cases) recorded as service commitments. Aside from this information being available at the time of Confirmation, these records can be used to provide letters of recommendation for colleges, job references, etc., but only if they are complete. It is beneficial for all students to record their service for all of these reasons.
To help in this endeavor, there are purple service record forms located in the back of church across from the Office of Worship as well as in the bins outside of the Christian Formation Office and on our website under the 'Service Opportunities' tab. Please completely fill out one purple form for each project. Forms must be signed by both the student and a committee representative or parent to be accepted. The information on the purple form should be as detailed as possible and will be recorded in the student file as part of his or her record.
If you are a member of the organization that benefits from, or are under obligation to perform the activity, the work does not count toward this Christian Formation requirement.
Community service hours performed to satisfy a court order may not be used toward this Christian Formation requirement.
Completed Service Hours sheets should be put in the Mass Reflection box (bottom tray) or turned into the Christian Formation Office.
Service opportunities that are available through St. Leonard:
- Labor of Love (LOL) – ongoing
- World Series to Strike Out Hunger – October
- Christian Mothers Craft Sale – November
- Souper Bowl of Caring – February
- Mission Trip – Summer
- VBS - Summer
- Family Enrichments / Veggie Tales - multiple times
- Church Decorating - multiple times
- Knights of Columbus activities - multiple times
- Sunday morning nursery during 9:00 am Mass - multiple times
- Liturgy of the Word for Children - during 9:00 am Mass in Advent & Lent
- Additional opportunities are presented during class time and will be listed on our website under the 'Service Opportunities & Form' tab
Home Study is not available for the Confirmation program.
If you have any questions on the service portion of your child's Christian Formation experience, please contact:
Bethanne Maus-Schaefer - Office 262-679-0880