DIRECTOR: Bethanne Maus-Schaefer
Requirements for students in grades 7 - 9 are a follows:
The Christian Formation Office can be called or emailed at any time to verify the status of student requirements.
- Attend class with 80% attendance
- Attend two enrichments*
- Complete service hours according to grade level.**
- Attend a Reconciliation Service (see dates listed below)
- Complete 8 Mass Reflections
The goal for attendance is 100% for classes and two enrichments. All families have obligations that they must attend. It is our hope that families make Christian Formation a priority. In order to cooperate with the needs for busy families, we have allowed four absences for the year. There are 16 classes and two enrichments.
*Enrichments are meant to enhance spiritual formation in a non-classroom setting. These opportunities are meant for parents to spend time with their children in an environment that can enrich their faith journeys. An Enrichment Offerings schedule will be mailed to parents in September. The most current schedule can be found online at www.stleonards.org. Click on the 'Enrichment Offerings' tab.
** Service hour requirement Grade 7 – Two Hours
Grade 8 – Five Hours
Grade 9 – Ten Hours
Service can be completed in a variety of ways: at the parish, in our community, and/or in the home. We have a wide assortment of projects through our parish with all of the various activities, events and committees. Information is provided, as it becomes available. We also understand that students are involved in service elsewhere, outside the parish walls, and these activities can be (in most cases) recorded as service commitments. Aside from this information being available at the time of Confirmation, these records can be used to provide letters of recommendation for colleges, job references, etc., but only if they are complete. It is beneficial for all students to record their service for all of these reasons.
To help in this endeavor, there are purple service record forms located in the back of church across form the Office of Worship as well as in the bins outside of the Christian Formation Office and on our website under the 'Service Opportunities' tab. Please completely fill out one purple form for each project. Forms must be signed by both the student and a committee representative or parent to be accepted. The information on the purple form should be as detailed as possible and will be recorded in the student file as part of his or her record.
Completed Service Hour sheets should be put in the Mass Reflection box (bottom tray) or turned in to the Christian Formation Office.
Service opportunities that are available through St. Leonard:
- Labor of Love (LOL) – ongoing
- World Series to Strike Out Hunger – October
- Christian Mothers Craft Sale – November
- Souper Bowl of Caring – February
- Mission Trip – Summer
- VBS - Summer
- Family Enrichments / Veggie Tales - multiple times
- Church Decorating - multiple times
- Knights of Columbus activities - multiple times
- Sunday morning nursery during 9:00 am Mass - multiple times
- Liturgy of the Word for children during Advent and Lent
- Additional opportunities are presented weekly during class time and will be listed on our website under the 'Service Opportunities' tab.
If you have any questions on the service portion of your child's Christian Formation experience, please contact: Bethanne Maus-Schaefer - Office 262-679-0880
Wednesday, October 12 6:30 pm in Church (Youth oriented)
Thursday, November 17 6:30 pm in Church (Youth oriented)
Saturday, December 10 10:00 am at St. Joseph Big Bend (Parish oriented)
Tuesday, January 24 6:30 pm in Church (Youth oriented)
Thursday, February 16 6:30 pm in Church (Youth oriented)
Wednesday, March 22 6:30 pm in Church (Youth oriented)
Wednesday, April 5 7:00 pm in Church (Parish oriented)
NOTE: Your child may attend any one of the Reconciliation Services listed above.
Curriculum for Youth Ministry is meant to be a more in-depth study of the Catholic faith. Students review what they have already learned in elementary Christian Formation and become more involved in their faith. Below is the focus for each year.
Seventh Grade – Jesus in the New Testament and Prayer / Introduction to Biblical Timeline
Eighth Grade – The Apostle’s Creed and Discipleship
Ninth Grade – Morality and Chastity
Make-up work is not available
Making up a class on a different day is NOT an option.
HOME STUDY - For the families who cannot attend classes due to a legitimate conflict, St. Leonard Christian Formation offers a Home Study alternative on an exception basis only. Students benefit greatly from the classroom experience which cannot be duplicated at home.
All Home Study participants are required to:
- Attend two enrichments (see Enrichments above). As with all students, if a parent attends an enrichment with the student, it will count as two, fulfilling the requirement.
- Complete eight Mass Reflections
- Attend a Reconciliation service each year as scheduled (see above)
- Participate in community service (Gr. 7 - 2 hours; Gr. 8 - 5 hours; Gr. 9 - 10 hours). Service hours become part of the student record and are a component of "good standing" status (see above).
If you have questions or would like additional information on our Home Study program for grades 7, 8, and 9, please contact Bethanne Maus-Schaefer at: 262-679-0880.